Tuesday, January 13, 2009

100 Board and Other Wonderful Perks

It was back to school and today, after what turned into a long weekend. It was a wonderful weekend with the kids. Lots of lounging and relaxing.

It was an average day for me at work, nothing too stressful, and no special treats, but it was a day at work, which is a blessing in and of itself.

I know so many people who are either loosing their job, or facing some sort of cutbacks, and although I don't make a whole lot of money, I am extremely blessed to have the job I have.

I am a Montessori School administrator. Some call me the principal. Sure, there are times when I do have a lot of stress, but I typically begin my day greeting 3-6 year olds, which is awesome.

I also happen to have a great staff that I enjoy working with. Sure, I get frustrated, but really, I do actually enjoy coming to work and being with them.

But, the absolute best part of my job, the part that makes me praise God throughout the day is when Mally comes running into my office with pure excitement when she learns to read her first words, or when Meyer brings me some leftover snack from his classroom. I get to be there with them as they learn and witness their proudest moments.

Meyer will not be in school next year with me, and Mally will follow soon after that. But at this point, right now, I am so blessed to be with them.



This is a picture of Meyer finishing the 100 board. It is quite a process for a 5 year old to master. He has to arrange the numbers 1-100 on this board in order, while reciting the numbers. Mally just finished her 45 board.



This is Mally and I just after she finished her continent map. Finishing a map is a huge deal. We toast this in our house upon completion and then hang it up. First, the students memorize each continent, by doing a puzzle where each piece is a continent. After they can name all of the continents, they use a puzzle piece to trace the continent onto a piece of construction paper. Next, they punch out the continent with a pointer. Upon completion of punching out all of the continents, they punch out the hemispheres. Next, they put together the map and glue it onto a large piece of construction paper. You can see why we toast map completions in our house. Meyer has finished his continent map, his map of North America (which means he can name all of the countries in North and Central America) and is almost done with South America.

1 comments:

tracie said...

so cool!!!! way to go kids! you've got some smarties on your hands! ;)

Yellow Puppies Blogger Template | Template Design | Elque 2008